Sunday 6 September 2009

The reluctant blogger returns

I'd almost forgotten this blog site existed. I'm not generally a great lover of blogs, as I find you can't really hold a sensible discussion on them, and I always resisted setting up my own on the grounds that no one was likely to read it anyway.

However, a couple of years ago I was involved in a Usenet discussion about the value of blogs, and as a joke more than anything else I decided to set this one up. As you see, it lasted for one post - I was surprised to get a response from one of my fellow Usenet posters! Since then I've pretty much stayed away from blog sites.

Until the other day, that is, when I heard a repeat of a Radio 4 series called "I Was A Child Prodigy", and in particular the programme about Jocelyn Lavin, whose history seems similar to mine in a lot of ways - very bright as a child and good at practically every subject, then struggled when she reached university, and since then hasn't reached the levels of achievement that were once expected of her. When the programme was recorded last year she was struggling to find a job, although I'm not sure if she's still in the same position. I can certainly sympathize since I'm once again out of work, having left my last job (answering phones for a taxi company) at the end of April.

So I decided to Google her. I'm always a bit wary about doing this sort of thing because of accusations of "cyber-stalking", but I figure that if someone is going to set up a public site and invite emails then it's akin to publishing one's number in the phone book (and who does that these days?). Sent her an email last Tuesday, the day of the broadcast, but there's been no reply. Left a message on her blog today and Blogger inserted a link back to this site!

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I may make a few posts here just for my own amusement - life's pretty dull at the moment and there's only so much time I can spend on message-boards. I still don't expect anyone to read them though!

No comments: